Topic-Changing Thursdays: The Chiplet’s Arrival

First off, if you missed it last week, I shared that the Chiplet had arrived!

If you don’t wish to read about labor, then enjoy this picture and I will see you later!

I had not been sleeping well for many reasons. I decided to sleep on the sofa one night to see if it would mix things up for my brain and make it easier to sleep. I did sleep a little better…but still only got about 4-5 hours of sleep. Then, I started feeling gassy like I had with the Fudgelet. This started around 5 am. That was also when I had to (TMI?) visit the bathroom a few times. After the first or second visit I downloaded an app to track contractions. Sure enough, they were 5 minutes apart, lasting 1 minute, and they continued like that for over an hour. It was still early, but I texted my friend just the same since we had said she would watch the Fudgelet when I went into labor. I said it might be a false alarm, but to be ready. Then I woke up K at 7 am to let him know. I took a shower, started a load of laundry, and then the Fudgelet woke up. We did our morning routine while K flew around frantically (he gets a bit stressed in emergencies like this). At this point, my contractions were closer together but shorter. I wasn’t sure if I needed to go to the hospital yet, but we did anyway. My friend met us there and helped while K had to drive back home (he had forgotten the Fudgelet’s shoes at home!).

When they checked me, I was only 3-4 cm, so they said they wanted me to walk around for 2 hours but that I was NOT to go home. My friend took the Fudgelet home with her to play with her son (his friend). Meanwhile, I did a slow walk around the hospital that got slower and slower as I had to keep stopping for my now 2.5 minute apart contractions that were getting quite intense. Finally at 1.5 hours I said I needed to get checked again. Sure enough, I was over 5 cm so they said I could be admitted. I went right to the tub since I used it for the Fudgelet. I made it 3 hours and then my body started pushing on its own. I told K in a frantic voice to get the nurse. She came back in and they got me out of the tub and onto the bed. The doctor arrived and they told me I was at 10 cm and fully effaced. It was time to push! Even though this was kid number 2 and the Fudgelet’s head was larger, I can say that this one did not hurt any less. It also felt longer but once again….was short. With the Fudgelet, I started pushing at 7 am and had him at 7:13 am. This time, K said I started a couple minutes after 2 pm and had him at 2:13 pm (I apparently like 13). And there you go! Baby number 2 was out and perfect. At first, everything felt much more painful this time, but I actually did better. We had to hang out in the room for awhile because they didn’t have any postpartum rooms ready yet.

We were getting me settled for what was to be my one-night stay (K was going home with the Fudgelet after my friend brought him back to meet his brother), when we found out I was having high blood pressure issues. I had them with the Fudgelet post delivery as well. Unfortunately, the next day, my lab tests showed I had preeclampsia and needed to stay for at least one more night. The Fudgelet and I were so sad.

What made it worse was some miscommunication with a nurse who had us discharge the Chiplet and then tell us that because K was going home, if something happened to me then the Chiplet was not their responsibility anymore. We were so distraught. Thankfully we got a new nurse and they cancelled the discharge so that we both could continue receiving care and not have to worry. Even though we live 5 minutes from the hospital, it would still be scary.

Eventually my numbers improved and the next morning I received the all-clear to go home. We had to make some stops, including the pharmacy, and learned the Chiplet was not a fan of being in the car unless it was in motion. The Fudgelet was also not on best behavior because he had been running around from one place to another, hadn’t had me home in days, and needed his routine back. When we made it home, we unpacked, I took a shower and changed into cozy clothes. We checked in with the grandparents and enjoyed being home for the first time as a family of four.

Now for that first night? K ended up sleeping in the Fudgelet’s room because the Fudgelet had a stomach bug that kicked in at dinner all through the evening until almost midnight. Meanwhile, I was spending hours trying to get the Chiplet to sleep. So, not the best first night, but memorable. Our boys certainly keep life interesting!

The Fudgelet and the Chiplet

4 thoughts on “Topic-Changing Thursdays: The Chiplet’s Arrival

  1. So funny reading this as I did the same thing when I had my daughter. Took a shower and did laundry. Six hours start to finish and my first and only was here. So glad that all is well and love seeing the pix of all of you. So blessed! Much love to all!

  2. Pingback: Topic-Changing Thursdays: The Chiplet is 1 Month Old | fudgingahead

  3. Pingback: My First Pumpkin Pie | fudgingahead

Share Your Thoughts

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.